Breast enlargement (or breast augmentation) surgery is a cosmetic procedure that aims to increase breast size by inserting saline or silicone implants. Researchers are constantly on the lookout for better materials to make breast implants more comfortable and safer.
Gummy bear breast implants are one of the newest kinds of implants to hit the market. They are designed using silicone gel which has a similar texture to the gummi bear candies-hence their name. The implants owe their increasing popularity to their natural feel and look. The silicone gel is held by an outer silicone shell, and more cross-linked bonds have been added to the inner liquid gel to enhance stability and firmness.
This cross-linking characteristic is very crucial in preventing silicone gel migration in case of shell rupture. Using gummy bear breast implants has several pros and cons:
Pros of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
1. With other types of silicone breast implants, there is a risk of the shell of the implant rupturing and causing the gel to leak out. Such rupturing can cause the woman to undergo the trauma of pain and also loss of the breast shape. It may also result in surgeries to extract the damaged implant and repair the breast tissue. With the gummy bear implant, the cohesive gel is not released even where the shell is cut. Therefore women have the assurance that the implant cannot leak or rupture.
2. With this implant, there is a reduced risk of capsular contracture (occurrence of scar tissue in the area surrounding the breast implant).
3. Older generation silicone and saline implants change shape after some time due to compression and gravity. With the gummy bear implant, the cohesive gel means the shape is retained even with compression or rupture. This means that the breast retains its shape even for years after the surgery. Also unlike other implants, gummy bear breast implants do not have an observable implant line. This means there is less likelihood of the implant shifting.
4. Another benefit of this implant is that due to its gel structure, the implant does not ripple or fold. This ensures that the breast retains a normal texture and shape. The stable gel produces a very natural breast appearance.
5. The gummy bear breast implants have been very popular and successful in Europe. This is particularly common in younger women seeking breast augmentation.
Cons of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
1. The traditional round silicone gel have been there for longer and therefore have a longer safety record. Also, there are more breast augmentation plastic surgeons who are more experienced with the round silicone procedure than the gummy bear implant which is a relatively newer method.
2. Some women may find the gummy bear implant a little too firm. Additionally the tear-drop shape may put off those who prefer rounder breasts.
3. The gummy bear breast implant, like other shaped implant, may rotate and acquire an unnatural and distorted appearance. This may necessitate a revision procedure. This risk requires an assessment by the consulting surgeon performing the implant procedure.
4. The size of the incisions made for gummy bear breast implants are generally bigger than other types such as saline implants. The incision is done under the armpit rather than the less conspicuous naval area in other implants
5. The gummy bear implant is much more expensive compared to other types of breast implants like the round silicone gel implant.
In conclusion, before one embraces breast augmentation surgery, the plastic surgeon will first consider the patient’s body size, desired cup size and the desired shape or look. A good cosmetic surgeon will help the patient choose a size and shape that is healthy and safe for her frame and height. They will also discuss the various types of implants and how they affect the final results. It is critical to get a properly certified plastic surgeon in order to ensure a positive outcome with the implant procedure.